The objective of this tutorial is to create two applications: a Node.js application that functions as a web client, and a Node-RED application that functions as the server. You will create an input form in the client that lets a user send a registration request to a server. The server will save the registration in a database and send a spoken response back to the client using IBM Watson’s Text to Speech service.
You must have access to a Bluemix account.
1. Create a Client Application with SDK for Node.js
First, I will create a Node.js web application, which will function as our client and we will create web pages to ask for user input. Technically, this client application is also running on a server, so it is perhaps confusing to call it a client, but in our scenario and architecture, this client application functions as the user interface that initiates the request to a processing server.
- Go to http://bluemix.net and click to ‘LOG IN’ button to log into your Bluemix account,
- If this is the first time you log in, Bluemix will ask to create an organization and a space. You can create multiple spaces, for instance a different space for each
- Click the ‘CATALOG‘ menu on the top right of the page,
- To create a Node.js based application with the ‘SDK for Node.js’, find the ‘SDK for Node.js’ in the ‘Runtimes’ section and click the icon,